Twentieth Anniversary Mac -- Good for YDL?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:13:00 -0500

Friends:

Again, I ask for advice from the YDL Community.

My eBay fever is peaking again; this time I am looking at Twentieth
Anniversary Macs (I haven't bid on it... yet). They look so beautiful
and *so* cool -- it's too bad they were so expensive and so underpowered
when they were new. Does anyone have experience using one of these with
Yellow Dog Linux?

The Yellow Dog Linux Hardware page (which has been updated to reflect
YDL 4.0, even though it is not yet available) suggests that the
Twentieth Anniversary Mac (TAM) is unsupported with YDL 4.0, but "SHOULD
FUNCTION given a Yellow Dog Linux v3.0 foundation and MAY FUNCTION with
the current release" (how's that for unhelpful?):

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/others.shtml>

The TAM I am looking at has a 2 GB hard drive (barely enough), 96 MB of
RAM (is that enough?), and a 250 MHz Power PC 603e CPU (underpowered,
but sufficient). Some online sources mention that the engineering on
this machine was unique, and Open Firmware on these machines is very,
very wonky -- for instance, it was one of the few New World Macs that
did not support the Mac OS X Beta. The unusual engineering might mean
that YDL will be wonky, too.

What I want is actual experiences (positive or negative) from people who
have installed YDL on this machine. Based on the specifications, it is
difficult to know whether YDL will work or not (and Terra Soft's site is
distinctively unhelpful on this point).

Thanks!!!!!

Best wishes,
Clint