Configuring an apple stylewriter 2500 on Yellow Dog Linux - Addendum

Thomas Kaddatz yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 02:56:32 +0200

Here is what I done until now:

- compile lpstyl.c to create the executable lpstyl --> O.K.!!!

- make sure that the path to gs is correct in stylps (it assumes
   /usr/local/gnu/bin/gs) --> my dir: /usr/bin/gs

[root@ydl sbin]# whereis gs
gs: /usr/bin/gs /usr/share/man/man1/gs.1.gz

- make lpstyl and the driver scripts world-executable and put them
   somewhere public (I suggest /usr/local/sbin) --> O.K.!!!

[root@ydl sbin]# ls -la
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        36407 Aug 31 00:31 lpstyl
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          358 Aug 31 00:38 stylascii
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          117 Aug 31 00:31 stylps
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          152 Aug 31 00:39 stylps-color

- make sure that the path to lpstyl is correct in the driver scripts (they
   assume /usr/local/sbin/lpstyl, etc.) --> O.K.!!!

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/gs -q -dNOPAUSE -dSAFER -sDEVICE=pbmraw -r360x360 \
       -sOutputFile=- - \
|/usr/local/sbin/lpstyl

stylps (END)

- make /dev/stylewriter a symbolic link to the serial port your printer is
   connected to.  (On netbsd-mac68k, the printer port is /dev/tty01.)
--> O.K.!!!

[tom@ydl sbin]$ ls -la /dev/ | grep tty0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Aug 28 18:42 stylewriter ->
/dev/tty01
-rw-r--r--    1 lp       lp            318 Aug 27 11:55 tty01

- install the printcap entries into /etc/printcap (making sure that all
   paths are correct there, too)

lp|Apple Stylewriter for ASCII, using gs for rasterization:\
       :lp=/dev/stylewriter:sd=/var/spool/stylps:\
       :px#3060:py#3960:sh:sf:rw:\
       :if=/usr/local/sbin/stylascii:\
       :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

stylps|Apple Stylewriter for PostScript, using gs for rasterization:\
       :lp=/dev/stylewriter:sd=/var/spool/stylps:\
       :px#3060:py#3960:sh:sf:rw:\
       :if=/usr/local/sbin/stylps:\
       :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:

cstylps|Apple Stylewriter for color postscript, using gs for
rasterization:\
       :lp=/dev/stylewriter:sd=/var/spool/stylps:\
       :px#3060:py#3960:sh:sf:rw:\
       :if=/usr/local/sbin/stylps-color:\
       :lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
/etc/printcap (END)

- make sure the spool directory specified in the printcap entry exists

[root@ydl spool]# ls -la
drwx------    2 lp       lp           4096 Aug 31 01:18 stylps

- kick lpd so that it re-reads /etc/printcap

[root@ydl spool]# /etc/init.d/lpd stop
lpd beenden:                                               [  OK  ]
[root@ydl spool]# /etc/init.d/lpd start
lpd starten: Warning - lp: sf (suppress form feeds) is ignored. Use
'ff_separator' if you want FF between job files
Warning - stylps: sf (suppress form feeds) is ignored. Use
'ff_separator' if you want FF between job files
Warning - stylps: CATASTROPHIC ERROR! queue 'lp' also has spool
directory '/var/spool/stylps'
Warning - cstylps: sf (suppress form feeds) is ignored. Use
'ff_separator' if you want FF between job files
Warning - cstylps: CATASTROPHIC ERROR! queue 'lp' also has spool
directory '/var/spool/stylps'
                                                          [  OK  ]

That should do it.  Find a postscript file and 'lpr -Pstylps file.ps'

[root@ydl spool]# lpr -Pstylps /home/tom/stylewriter_ydl.ps
lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable
[root@ydl spool]#

So, what's wrong?

Thanx,

tommac

>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> the problem is, that lpstyl, the actual driver binary, is *not* included
>> in the YDL distro, only the foomatic PPDs that will call it when it is
>> installed. You have to install it separately.
>>
>> You can still get it here:
>>
>> http://homepage.mac.com/monroe/styl/
>>
>> Just follow the steps in the README - it compiles easily and works well!
>> I do have a Color StyleWriter 1500 attached to my G3 233 on the printer
>> port, and it certainly does print.
>>
>> In case you run into trouble, feel free to contact me for further
>> details, or an already compiled binary.
>>

>> Regards,
>> Alex

In case someone still has one of the SyleWriter beasts, and misses them under
OSX - there is help:

http://www.mcgillis.org/~matthew/printing.html

Obviously, lpstyl works under OSX as well  ;)

Alex

-- Alexander Holst Hergulesse Design ph: +49 [0]711 887 5195 fx: +49
[0]711 887 5196 <alex.holst [at] hergulesse [dot] de>