Twentieth Anniversary Mac -- Good for YDL?

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:05:58 -0500

Mr. Gimpelevich:

Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> You say: "it was one of the few New World Macs that did
> not support the Mac OS X Beta." All NewWorld Macs support
> every version of OS X that has been released so far.

Aha -- I stand corrected. And, you know, I should have known that, since
New World Macs all have built-in USB, which the Twentieth Anniversary
Mac lacks.

> The TAM is an OldWorld Mac, and it apparently has the same
> Open Firmware as the PowerMac 5500 and 6500, but with no
> OF video driver, just like the 7200.

That is useful information. I might have a similar experience with the
TAM as other YDLers have had with the Power Mac 5500/6500 series (which
were supported with YDL 3.0).

I am beginning to believe that eBaying (is "to eBay" a verb?) for a
Twentieth Anniversary Mac will be silly. I have a fine Power Mac 7600 in
the closet that is *crying* out for a Yellow Dog Linux install. The 7600
will likely even support YDL 4.0 (with BootX configured appropriately):

<http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/hardware/others.shtml>

But I *want* that TAM! :-(

> Someone earlier on this list promised to maintain a FAQ
> page specific to getting YDL 4 running on OldWorld Macs
> once YDL 4 is released.

Yes -- was that "sloopy"? Or perhaps Derick Centeno? Whomever it was, we
owe them a beer for their troubles.

> Until then, you shouldn't have much trouble with YDL 3.0.1 except
> for the same X woes that YDL 3 introduced to all models.

*That's* the truth! :-) The problems introduced with the kernel in YDL
3.0.1 were obnoxious.

Best wishes,
Clint
(I eBay; you eBay; he, she or it eBays...)