I need some help -> Encore Fast Ethernet (RTL-8139 D) and ASDL

Atro Tossavainen yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue, 31 Aug 2004 11:23:52 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

> I have a Encore Fast Ethernet 10/100 board at my single pci slot but
> YDL isn't recognizing it. For some reason the comp recognize another
> board not mine and it always refuse activate Ethernet. Well this same
> board aren't recognized by the OS 9.1.  How can I fix this problem?

Please post the output of /sbin/lspci to the list.

>From what I found by googling for "encore ethernet linux", your card
is based on the RealTek chipset and the "8139too" driver should work
with it.  If a module with that name is not part of the standard YDL
kernel, you will have to compile your own.

> (please try make a step by step method, I am fresh at Linux world)

Teach yourself how to build kernels.  You will need the skill anyway.

Choose "RealTek RTL-8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter Support" and "RealTek
RTL-8139 C+ PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter support" in the kernel configuration.
Make them modules so you won't have to compile an entirely new kernel.
Compile and install.  Either of those modules should give you proper
networking support for that card.

> I need this board to connect my comp to the ASDL service present at my
> state. And I would like to know how I could configure the system. My
> ASDL provider uses DHCP and PPPoE protocols and they force the users
> to log at the service thru a homepage.

You will need this.

http://www.roaringpenguin.com/penguin/open_source_rp-pppoe.php

I don't know if it's already a part of YDL.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,