MOL networking on TiBook with YDL 4

John M. Wright jmw at chem.ucsd.edu
Sat Dec 4 00:20:56 MST 2004

I've been happily using YDL 3.01 on a late (1 GHz) TiBook
ever since 3.01 was released.  Recently I've installed YDL 4
(in a separate partition, so I can boot into either 4 or 3.01).
The installation of YDL 4 went reasonably well (much better than
that of 3.0, though not quite as smoothly as 3.01) and most
things are working well now.  An exception is MOL - it runs
OK, but I cannot get _networking_ to work properly.  I am
using the tun interface with DHCP.  DHCP assigns MOL an IP
address OK, but there is no name service.  I can ping any
IP address that I've tried, but name lookup is totally
non-functional.  On the MacOS X side, eg, under YDL 3.01,
if I use nslookup (either via command line from a terminal,
or from the Network Utility panel) I can look up any domain
name that I've tried so far.  Under YDL 4, if I invoke
nslookup, I get "Can't find server name for address x.y.z.1:
no response from server", where x.y.z.1 is the nameserver
provided by my RoadRunner ISP.

I haven't found anything in the YDL or MOL archives, or by
Googling, that seems to bear on this.  I'd be grateful for
any ideas or suggestions.

John Wright

 Dr. John M. Wright, Dept. of Chemistry & Biochemistry, M/S 0314, UCSD,
 La Jolla, CA 92093-0314; email: jwright at ucsd.edu; phone: 858-534-3049