AbiWord 2.2 for Mac OS X

Clinton MacDonald clint.macdonald at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 5 07:25:01 MST 2004

Eric:

Thanks for commenting on my tirade!

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Re: Yes, Cancel or Yes, No, Cancel vs. Save, Don't Save,
> Cancel
>
> Unfortunately Office for 2004 as a whole *doesn't* get it
> right (I think, or am I confusing things here). IIRC
> Entourage has a number of dialogues where Cancel actually
> refers to "No" or "Don't Save".

I am not an Entourage user (the icons and interface seem too toy-like to
me), so I haven't encountered that. However, people who like Entourage
*love* Entourage, so I think Microsoft must have done *something* right
with that application.

> PS I fired up AbiWord 2.2 here on Ubuntu and it gives me
> "Close without Saving", "Cancel" and "Save" (wrong order
> but at least right text boxes). Does this mean they changed
> something in the OS X build?

Yes, AbiWord 2.1.96 on my Mandrake Linux box has "Close Without Saving,"
etc. You're right: it seems that the Mac OS X AbiWord team made the
non-standard choice to go with "No," "Yes," and so on. Not a idea of
them. Perhaps I will look for a bug report site and give them a report.

> And, OO.org 1.1.2 does it better (IMNSHO) 'Save', 'Discard',
> 'Cancel'. Unambiguous, simple, and clean.

OpenOffice.org has *so* much potential. Too bad it takes forever to
start up, and I just wish the interface weren't stuck so firmly in 1995
(maybe it's just me).

Re-reading my above post, it sounds as if I am some sort of snobby,
hypercritical interface aesthete with a touch of ADD. It's probably true.

Best wishes,
Clint