OT: top-posting

Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker at spme.monash.edu.au
Sun Dec 5 17:02:28 MST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 07:08:50PM -0500, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> Anyway, I find that in the business world top-posting is the norm,
> however annoying it may be at times.

If you are in a world where top-posting is expected or standard you
have to conform.  In business I am told they think it provides the
context and history of the exchange.  It seems pretty clumsy to me,
but makes some degree of sense.

> What would be a worthwhile effort to devote braincells to is to
> getting people to <snip> quoted text down to relevant portions.

That is the important part.  As far as I am concerned both top and
bottom posting are abhorrent.  As a general rule you should snip
irrelevant parts and keep enough original text only to provide context
or for the points to which you wish to reply.  This creates smaller
messages with less to be waded through and shows what it is you
intended to discuss.

Stephen Harker                           Stephen.Harker at spme.monash.edu.au
School of Physics & Materials Engineering
Monash University