OT: top-posting

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 17:08:50 MST 2004

Such a lovely topic. Let's see how many people I can piss off by
starting off by top-posting.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 17:49:31 -0500, Jurvis LaSalle <lasalle at bard.edu> wrote:
>    As with most *nix and "hacker culture" practices that seem odd at
> first, there are good reasons for doing so that may not be evident in
> the short term.

Or, maybe it's "just because that's the way we've always done it".

>  While I use top-posting extensively in my private
> correspondence due to it being solely a two-way conversation, I use
> bottom-posting on mailing lists in an attempt to make each reply just
> that, the next reply in a group conversation.  When combined with
> concise "snipping," each post in the thread continues the flow of the
> discussion.

Why do people whinge about top posting? (Please don't answer)

Anyway, I find that in the business world top-posting is the norm,
however annoying it may be at times.

I prefer to have a top-post start so that you can right into the meat
of the message and not have to read/scroll through e-mails. If there
are specific points to address then selectively answering sections is
nice.

What would be a worthwhile effort to devote braincells to is to
getting people to <snip> quoted text down to relevant portions.

Eric.