lvm2

Paul Eden peden at americanphysicians.net
Tue Dec 7 08:42:36 MST 2004

Is anyone else having trouble with lvm2 on yellowdog 4.0?

I am running:

lvm2-2.00.15-2
device-mapper-1.00.14-3
kernel-2.6.8-1.ydl.7
initscripts-7.48-1.ydl.2

When I run lvm2 commands I get the following error:

  /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such file or directory
  Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?

And the volume group and logical volumes devices under /dev aren't
created even after reboot.

Is dm-mod missing from the kernel?

Here are lines 377 through 388 of /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

# LVM2 initialization
if [ -d /etc/lvm/ -a -x /sbin/lvm ]; then
    if ! LC_ALL=C fgrep -q "device-mapper" /proc/devices 2>/dev/null ;
then
        modprobe dm-mod >/dev/null 2>&1
    fi
    /bin/rm -f /dev/mapper/control
    echo "mkdmnod" | /sbin/nash --quiet >/dev/null 2>&1
    [ -n "$SELINUX" ] && restorecon /dev/mapper/control
    if [ -e /dev/mapper/control -a -x /sbin/lvm ]; then
        action $"Setting up Logical Volume Management:" /sbin/lvm vgscan
--mknodes && /sbin/lvm vgchange -a y
    fi
fi

When I try running modprobe dm-mod manually I get:

FATAL: Module dm_mod not found.

If dm-mod being missing is the problem who can add that to the kernel?

If not, anyone know what the problem is?

Best Regards,

Paul Eden