YDL 4 post-install lockup on PB g4

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Tue Dec 7 09:37:17 MST 2004

Hmmm... [scratch, scratch, scratch]

I know that:
(1) G4 PB's use either an NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 or ATI Mobility
Radeon 9700.

(2) There is no support in either the boot or installed kernel for
graphics boards with the nVidia Riva/Geforce chips:

	# CONFIG_FB_RIVA is not set
	# CONFIG_FB_RIVA_I2C  is not set

(3) There is no support for the "old" radeon card:

	# CONFIG_FB_RADEON_OLD is not set

(4) There is support for the "new" radeon card:

	CONFIG_FB_RADEON=y
	CONFIG_FB_RADEON_I2C=y

(5) I don't know the difference between 'old' and 'new' radeon cards.

(6) The kernel configuration help says that you don't need either radeon
driver in plain VGA mode.

With my G4 PowerMac with a GeForce2 MX card and an LCD monitor I ran
into the same problem. I had to physically disconnect the Apple Cinema
Display from the box  and connect a VGA monitor to get the USB FS to
load.

It would be nice if someone from Terrasoft would jump in on this.

-Joseph

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>