YDL 4 post-install lockup on PB g4

Robert Story rstory-l at revelstone.com
Tue Dec 7 11:11:25 MST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:04:07 -0500 Robert wrote:
RS> RS> JESPD> On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 23:56, Robert Story wrote:
RS> RS> JESPD> > I've got a titanium PB g4 500, and the ydl 4 install on a new
RS> RS> JESPD> > hard drive consistently locks up in the post-install stage.
RS>
RS> Also tried Felix's suggestion of making sure the Bootstrap and all swap
RS> partitions were formatted. Same results.  Didn't format the /boot partition
RS> though, as I have other installs using it...

Just archived my /boot and re-installed w/formatting the new /, /boot, swap and
Boostrap paritions. This time it seemed to work.

I'm not sure if this is the real solution, because I've been experimenting with
minimal installs, and have had 3 out of 15-20 succeed, so there might be
something else going on.

Luckily for me, this time I had done full package selection, as I was planing
on trying to merge a successful minimal partition I'd saved w/a failed full
install. But the full install worked. I've already wasted 3 days
troubleshooting, so I'm gonna stick with this working partition for now. Maybe
I'll try more debugging later to confirm if the reformatting all partions
always works.