Upgrade YDL 3.0 to 4.0 on Oldworld Powerbook 3400

Lewis Coleman Coleman at tscnet.com
Tue Dec 7 13:41:09 MST 2004

I love LINUX!  It is such a CHALLENGE !  Definitely not for those who
ask "What end of the computer do I plug in the wall?"!!  If I don't
want any trouble, I use OSX, of course (I have souped up OSX to run
KDE, etc and it still works!!).  AND the switch from YDL 3.0 to YDL 4.0
on my 'oldworld' Powerbook 3400 has really been FUN!!

I used Instruction #1 (see below).  There is not enough room to mention
the 'small' problems I had, but I did get it to work with my old Kernel
2.4.26 (sort of--only three or four FATAL Errors).  I also downloaded
Kernel #1..I have not tried Patch #1..nor read Howto #1.  (Don't ask
what all I have done--I forgotten--am getting OLD!!).  I build my
kernels from the source from the WEB or /usr/src (created by YDL 4.0?)

Question #1:  Does kernel #1 have the source and where does it put what
files (RPMs are 'magic')?
Question #2 (the biggie):  Starting with BootX and Linux kernel
2.6.8.1whatever on the mac os side of things, how does the computer
know what to use in /boot and /lib/modules and in what order are they
called (in no more than five sentences please)? (I have many different
kernels on the computer and 2.4.26 seems to work without the 2.4.26
kernel in /boot--even without /lib/modules having the 2.4.26
directory--it does hiccup without the modules, however!!)
Question #3:   When running kernel 2.6 on YDL 3.0 (and intermittently
on 4.0) and just after the BootX part, the screen goes blank until the
computer has completed the boot up.  (I mean no screenfuls of garbage
scrolling too fast to read!)  When there is an error on boot up the
only way I can tell is when I come back after lunch, the screen is
still blank!! (not helpful!).  How can I fix this?
Question #4 (now that have your attention--or are you asleep here?):
The Power On key on the Powerbook keyboard became the 'key of DEATH'
after booting up YDL 3.0 (and it is SO close to the Delete key!) and,
as near as I can tell, the computer goes to sleep and will not awaken.
I have to do a remote shutdown or disconnect the PRAM battery (not
pleasant!).  Does YDL 4.0 have this problem?  (I am not about to
experiment!!)

Thank you,   Lewis S Coleman

On Sunday, November 28, 2004, at 08:05  AM, Eddie Bindt wrote (in
subject: YDL 4 on Beige G3 ?):
<snip>
Patch #1:
> The kernel shipped on the YDL4 CD's misses a patch from benh that
> allows this kernel to work on OW (OF-1.0.5) machines .... (the patch
> is in kernel-2.6.9-rc2 ....)
>
> The kernel on the YDL4 CDs wil NEVER work on some oldworld machines ...
>
> YDL did NOT do that on purpose, we just discovered it after the CDs
> where burned ...
> That means, you NEED an other kernel to boot and install YDL4 on your
> OldWorld machine
>
> I build one for ANS and also for all other OldWorld machine which
> contains the missing patch.

Kernel #1:
> you can find this kernel at  :
> http://www.shiner.info/?files/Yellow%20Dog%20Linux%204/kernel/

Instruction #1:
> People where asking for upgrade instructions :
> http://www.shiner.info/?manuals/ANS-from-3-to-4.html
>
> adept this to whatever oldworld machine you have, we did it on a
> 8500/9600/ANS ...

Howto #1: