YDL 4.0 on oldworld mac

David Wadson wadson at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 8 04:28:43 MST 2004

That's why I avoid the CD installs now on the OldWorld machines - most
of the older drives are flakey reading the CDs.

I had success a Farallon 8960155-00-01 10/100 NIC. The D-Link
DFE-530TX, which is under $20 at Staples isn't supported by the
installer though it does work with the included driver and a recompiled
kernel. If I recall, the AsanteFast 10/100 wasn't supported either.

Is there a special technique to compiling a new install kernel and/or
ramdisk image that includes support for the OldWorld ethernet adapters?
Granted, it's quicker to install using a 10/100 NIC that is supported
by the installer but it would be nice not to have an installer that
will work on these machines without needing a new NIC.

Dave