Upgrade YDL 3.0 to 4.0 on Oldworld Powerbook 3400

Lewis Coleman Coleman at tscnet.com
Wed Dec 8 17:24:36 MST 2004

Thanks to Geert Janssens and R. McFarlane, I got three of four
questions answered (see my comments below).  The third one is still not
answered:

Question #3:   When running kernel 2.6 on YDL 3.0 (and intermittently
on 4.0) and just after the BootX part, the screen goes blank until the
computer has completed the boot up.  (I mean no screenfuls of garbage
scrolling too fast to read!)  When there is an error on boot up the
only way I can tell is when I come back after lunch, the screen is
still blank!! (not helpful!).  How can I fix this?

Has no one else had this problem?

On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, at 01:30  PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Well,
>
> I can't help you with all your questions, but here's what I know:
>
> Lewis Coleman wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Question #1:  Does kernel #1 have the source and where does it put
>> what files (RPMs are 'magic')?
>
> You can use
> rpm -ql <rpm-name>
> to find out where all files are/will be installed.
> Be warned that for a kernel source rpm you will get a very long list.

rpm -ql is great to know but seems only to work on installed an rpm.

>> Question #2 (the biggie):  Starting with BootX and Linux kernel
>> 2.6.8.1whatever on the mac os side of things, how does the computer
>> know what to use in /boot and /lib/modules and in what order are they
>> called (in no more than five sentences please)? (I have many
>> different kernels on the computer and 2.4.26 seems to work without
>> the 2.4.26 kernel in /boot--even without /lib/modules having the
>> 2.4.26 directory--it does hiccup without the modules, however!!)
>
> Using BootX, the kernels in /boot are totally ignored (but not the
> system.maps, I think). The kernel is loaded from your Mac OS >
> partition.
>
> Whichever kernel gets loaded, it will look for it's corresponding
> modules in /lib/modules/<kernel version>
>
> So if you want to use kernel 2.4.26, the kernel image should be copied
> to MacOS, and it's modules should be in /lib/modules/2.4.26.
>
> The standard linux way of doing things doesn't cope with this (it's
> not aware of BootX, which is a 'clever hack' to run linux on those old
> machines). So the easiest thing to do is to install the kernel rpm you
> want to use. This will install the kernel image in /boot, and the
> corresponding modules in /lib/modules.
> Then manually copy the kernel image to your macos partition.
> Using this method, you're at least sure the required modules are where
> the kernel expects them.

Besides the modules and System Map and vmlinux files, the rpm also adds
some other files in /boot--what are they?

<snip>
On Tuesday, December 7, 2004, at 01:39  PM, R. McFarlane wrote:

> At 12:41 PM 12/7/2004, Lewis Coleman, had this to say :
>
>> Question #4 (now that have your attention--or are you asleep here?):
>> The Power On key on the Powerbook keyboard became the 'key of DEATH'
>> after booting up YDL 3.0 (and it is SO close to the Delete key!) and,
>> as near as I can tell, the computer goes to sleep and will not >>
>> awaken.
>> I have to do a remote shutdown or disconnect the PRAM battery (not
>> pleasant!).  Does YDL 4.0 have this problem?  (I am not about to
>> experiment!!)
>

>         Edit the config file and change the setting so that the power
> key is disabled. I can not recall which file it is, but I know it is
> in /etc . Look maybe for pmud or pbbutton (I think it's this one).
> Probably easiest to grep for power key on all files recursively.
>
>         The new pmud/PBbuttons is great but it screwed up the video
> display on my 3400 so I had to remove it.

I found /etc/pbbuttonsd.conf.  It is going to take a while to figure it
out (there is a man file)..  Thanks

<snip>