Color Depth with Studio Display

Beth Johnson spamsink0 at resistance-is-fruitful.net
Wed Dec 8 21:15:25 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 20:46, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:
> Based on the "warnings" in the log file, it would appear that you
don't
> have Rage 128 support compiled into your kernel, even if you do have
it
> compiled into your X server. It apparently tries to open multiple
> framebuffers, but fails to open more than one because that's all the
> kernel is providing.

Well, it's the stock kernel provided by the install. I don't mind
rolling my own, given a valid config (I run Gentoo on my clamshell
iBook, so I'm no stranger to the process).  At this point I'm not really
concerned about hardware acceleration, I just want more than 256 colors!

> As for the color depth, has it failed both when the DefaultDepth is
set to
> 15 and when it's set to 16?

Fails at 15, 16 and 24.

regards,