Upgrade YDL 3.0 to 4.0 on Oldworld Powerbook 3400

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Thu Dec 9 04:11:17 MST 2004

Lewis Coleman wrote:
> Thanks to Geert Janssens and R. McFarlane, I got three of four questions
> answered (see my comments below).  The third one is still not answered:
>
> Question #3:   When running kernel 2.6 on YDL 3.0 (and intermittently on
> 4.0) and just after the BootX part, the screen goes blank until the
> computer has completed the boot up.  (I mean no screenfuls of garbage
> scrolling too fast to read!)  When there is an error on boot up the only
> way I can tell is when I come back after lunch, the screen is still
> blank!! (not helpful!).  How can I fix this?
>
> Has no one else had this problem?

Just some hints, no conclusive answers...

What do you mean with 'completed the boot up' ?. Do you mean, 'when the
graphical login screen appears ?', or do you normally boot into a text
console, and start X manually ?

In case you boot to runlevel 5 (this is directly into the graphical
login screen, as opposed to runlevl 3, for a text login), when you get
to the login screen, can you type ctrl-alt-f1 (or the equivalent on a
laptop) to go to the first virtual text console, and see if it's also
blank. If so, it might be that the kernel loads the wrong video module
for your system, or the module is bad in this kernel.

There is a 'no video' option in BootX, which, if I'm remembering
correctly, actually means "use the video as provide by mac os rom,
instead of trying to setup you own" (this is simplified, I know).

You could try to enable this option, and see what happens.

Good luck,

Geert Jan