Evolution-1.4.6: problems emptying the trash

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 17:07:01 MST 2004

I discovered that there is a problem with evolution-1.4 when emptying
the trash:

        Error while 'Expunging folder':
        Error storing `Local folders/Inbox': Summary and folder
        mismatch, even after a sync

A quick Goggle search indicates that this is a well known problem that
wasn't there in earlier versions of evolution and appears to have gone
away in later versions.

The only workaround I have discovered that actually works is:
* shut down evolution
* delete all files in  ~/evolution/local/Inbox
  [not just the indexes]
* restart evolution
* empty the trash.

The next time a message lands in the Inbox you are back to square one.

Fedora has source for evolution-2.x. I have started looking into the
dependencies for upgrading to evolution-2.x and the collateral
consequences. I have been down this path before [:-)].

-Joseph

--
Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. <joseph_sacco at comcast.net>