YDL 4 on Oldworld Mac, additional comments

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Tue Dec 14 14:12:16 MST 2004

After running YDL4 for about a week now on my Oldworld G3, I can comment
some more on my experience.

I'll focus on what doesn't work correctly, since those are the things
that catch my eye. The rest "just works".

1. I have noticed Firefox sometimes has stability issues: it randomly
crashes. This did not happen at all in 3.0x. I haven't been able to
figure out what triggers it.

2. Although I have alsa working on this machine (see a previous mail),
KMix doesn't keep it's settings between reboots. Each time the machine
boots, I first have to open KMix, in the Inputs tab click the red LED to
enable the input (recording ?) and in the Switches tab, enable the
Microphone tab. The other settings are kept.

3. KDE's taskbar shows some instability. There are times the open
windows list is no longer updated. I mean, when I close an app, it's
name remains in the taskbar, or if I open an extra window, it's not
shown in the taskbar. This is resolved by removing the taskbar, and
readding it to the panel. But after some time, it's stuck again. Again,
I have no idea what triggers this.

4. YDL4's Gnucash (v1.8.9) that incorrectly shows the Net worth and
Profit in the status bar. Not YDL's fault, it really is a bug in
GnuCash, which should be resolved in the upcoming 2.8.10 release. I just
hope YDL will provide an update via YUM.

5. When I change a music CD, KsCD doesn't update the track information.
I have to click the CDDB button and click Fetch Info to refresh the
track list.

6. Usually, my screen goes black once after booting when I am working
for about half an hour. Just moving the mouse restores it. It's not the
screensaver kicking in, it's really the monitor going into suspend mode.
It seems as if Xorg's suspend timer is not reset until the screen is
suspended a first time. After that, the sequence is normal: after some
time of inactivity, first screensaver, and if still no activity some
time longer, suspend. But directly after boot (ie about half an hour),
it does a suspend first.

7. I have the impression that generally the system is less responsive
than in 3.0. Maybe X.org is less optimized for old video controllers, or
KDE has some extra's that slow things down...

There you go, the short summary of my YDL4 experience up till now. I
welcome all suggestions, counter-experiences, or tips for improvements
on all of the above.

Cheers,

Geert Jan