YDL 4 on Oldworld Mac, additional comments

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 14 17:29:33 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 16:12, Geert Janssens wrote:
> After running YDL4 for about a week now on my Oldworld G3, I can comment
> some more on my experience.
>
> I'll focus on what doesn't work correctly, since those are the things
> that catch my eye. The rest "just works".

Great. Mines will follow in a week or so. So far, its just about a
couple rough edges here and there. I love it overall!

> 1. I have noticed Firefox sometimes has stability issues: it randomly
> crashes. This did not happen at all in 3.0x. I haven't been able to
> figure out what triggers it.

Launch it from a console. You may get some useful messages dumped in
there.

> 3. KDE's taskbar shows some instability. There are times the open
> windows list is no longer updated. I mean, when I close an app, it's
> name remains in the taskbar, or if I open an extra window, it's not
> shown in the taskbar. This is resolved by removing the taskbar, and
> readding it to the panel. But after some time, it's stuck again. Again,
> I have no idea what triggers this.

Same for me. Although, I it seam to occur only between reboot or a new
session. I just tried to update KDE to 3.3.2 (latest stable) after ~5
days worth of compiling the process died on gwenview. I found nothing
relevant on KDE's bug tracking thingy. Since I have no clue how to
*PROPERLY* report a bug I left it as is and kept using KDE-3.3.0. I'd
appreciate support on this one :-). konstruct is sitting in /opt. All is
still in place. There got to be a useful log I could use somewhere in
there, right?

> 6. Usually, my screen goes black once after booting when I am working
> for about half an hour. Just moving the mouse restores it. It's not the
> screensaver kicking in, it's really the monitor going into suspend mode.
> It seems as if Xorg's suspend timer is not reset until the screen is
> suspended a first time. After that, the sequence is normal: after some
> time of inactivity, first screensaver, and if still no activity some
> time longer, suspend. But directly after boot (ie about half an hour),
> it does a suspend first.

Correct me if Im wrong here but YDL have several screensaver/energysaver
system. One in KDE, one in GNOME and xscreensaver. Do they share the
same programs? The setup panel are all different, thus they seam to
share the same modules.

> 7. I have the impression that generally the system is less responsive
> than in 3.0. Maybe X.org is less optimized for old video controllers, or
> KDE has some extra's that slow things down...

Here again, this apply to my system, too. Opera is a great exemple.
Overall slowness as when windows are not 'snappy' enough or when
right-clicking takes like 10 seconds to show a menu... I think the
kernel should be re-compiled using an appropriate .config file for our
hardware. I tried myself but make stopped at some ata-io-something. Its
a week away I don't recall exactly, sorry. Now there is the 2.6.9 kernel
installed by yum... I didnt rebooted so far. I wonder why but I am
afraid to go ahead and hit the switch...

I found 'kmenuedit' quite unstable. This one must have vanished off my
face once every minutes. Gotta click the floppy icon very often!

Please, bring back 'fortune'. Organize and clean up the menus (KMenu and
GNOME's one in particular). Thanks :-)

I've been *VERY* pleased by gkrellm that finally work right. All my
disks are shown properly and all yay!

--Andrew