yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 4, Issue 36

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 08:50:09 MST 2004

Can we all stop being chauvinistic about any particular distro (YDL in
this case)! They're all distributed using the same, or at most,
similar licences and the persons contributing to the code base are not
contributing with the idea that the code should *only* be used in the
distro *they* use (if that were the case, we'd never have seen the
emergence of an OS that is starting to show some maturity).

This would run counter to the spirit of OSS since its evolution
depends on the efforts of people writing for other distros, or even OS
groups (my Ubuntu (unstable "Hoary"... the "bleeding" (literally &
figuratively) edge version... quite stable given that it's an alpha OS
that gets updated at least daily) recently installed an update to the
BSD 4.4 subsystem that was already installed (unbeknownst to me) on my
system... neat).

Yes, this is a YDL list, but sometimes the better (or even best)
solution to a particular query is to say "Check out Ubuntu. It's easy
to install and does/has x, y, and z.". On the Ubuntu lists I'll point
people to YellowDogLinux when it seems like that would be a better
solution for their problem (IMNSHO it's sometimes easier & FASTER
simply to re-install/install an OS than fix a particular problem;
though, YDL 4 seems to have a lot of problems at the moment... I hope
they get fixed soon).

Various OSes have their own strengths & weaknesses.

YDL has been around longer so for some things it's better supported or
easier to do, especially for YDL 3.0.1 since it officially supports
OldWorld Macs (e.g. network server ... all functionality is in-built
into the install and as a newbie to Linux you can control it with
confidence using WebMin... Ubuntu is targeted at the desktop user thus
all the extras have to be downloaded & WebMin doesn't officially
support it yet).

Ubuntu is the new kid on the block and, as such, has teething pains,
but where it shines is that it does offer a one-CD package (so much
faster to d/l than YDL 4) & thus has a minimum of fat, a powerful and
_easy_ to use updater and, if desired, the opportunity to play with
bleeding (literally & figuratively) edge packages (selectively, or by
running "Hoary"). And, for people who care about such things, sound
works out of the box ;-).

Whatever happened to share and share alike? The Ubuntu hostility on
this list is sounding more like the Windows-Mac flame wars that trolls
occasionally dig up. I don't see the same kind of hostility on
Ubuntu's fora (or is that forums?) when YDL is discussed (though there
is quite a bit of KDE vs. GNOME antagonism there).

Eric.