Ubuntu Ubuntu Ubuntu

Chris Burnham ccburnham at speakeasy.net
Fri Dec 17 08:51:04 MST 2004

"In Africa, the Zulu have a word, ubunto, which is often translated to
mean community, but I've heard a more accurate definition: ' I am
because we are; we are because I am.' In other words, happiness is not a
solitary endeavor; it's a joint enterprise, something that can only be
created by the whole. I am happy because we are happy. Contentment
arises from a sense of family, community and connectedness." "Ubunto
really means that I am because you are. We belong together. Our humanity
is bound up with one another. We say in our languages, a person is a
person through other persons. A solitary human being is a contradiction
in terms. I learn how to become a human being through association with
other human beings." -John Perry Barlow, retired Wyoming cattle rancher
and Grateful Dead lyricist in Forbes ASAP, Winter 2001, p 97