yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 4, Issue 40

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 10:55:37 MST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:05:26 -0800, Nathan Cashion <ldsnately at mac.com> wrote:
> Hey this sounds great.
> But I'm a newbie to YDL and Linux in general, so could I get a little
> more info on how to go about doing all of this?
>
> On Thursday, December 16, 2004, at 05:03  PM,
> yellowdog-general-request at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com wrote:
> > Message: 8
> > Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 17:55:30 -0600
> > From: Felix Jodoin <felixj at shaw.ca>
> > The hardware guide said it couldn't be done, but I found a way.
> > Want full 3d acceleration on your powerbook g3 pismo?

As a pretty lazy individual myself (not making any aspersions as to
your work ethic) I might suggest you *don't* do this until you're more
knowledgeable.

If something goes wrong you're saddled with headaches, and, if it goes
right you may not really gain much from having acceleration activated
(who knows, I could be completely wrong on the latter since I don't
have YDL installed on my Pismo & am happy with things as is... I won't
mention what is installed... see the other (high volume) threads for
the reasons others might not want me to mention the name of what is
installed ;-).

However, that said, if you can get it working, you'll certainly learn
a lot about how xconfig86 works (not a bad thing). Make sure you
back-up the files you work on... cp xconfig86 xconfig86.bak (or
something like that).

pico is your friend in all of this -- it's an easy-to-use command-line
text editor (run as fast as you can from vi, emacs or anything like
that... unless you're into that).

Logging in as root is your other friend. A lot of things you won't be
able to do as anything but root. "su" is often not enough (su=
substitute user).

PS If you're into setting up a server of some type (file, HTTP, iDisk,
mail, etc) check out www.webmin.com. It's an easy-to-use interface to
many of the servers installed with YDL. You access it through any web
browser locally by localhost:10000 or remotely by yourIPaddress:10000
or yourdomainname:10000 (it allows you to do a lot more than just
control your servers).

Eric.