VDQ : repositories, compatibility of?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Dec 19 05:55:42 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-17 at 13:40, Beartooth wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:01:58 -0500, Derick Centeno wrote:
>
> > I'm not home just now, but the answer to your question regarding yum is
> > that I designed my yum.conf so that it looks in several places
> > simultaneously. This works for YDL 3.0 and YDL 3.0.1; I see no reason
> > why it cannot work for YDL 4.0!

.
.
.
> > IF there is an interest in what I did and how, then I'll post it here as
> > it combines several ideas I picked up from other Linux luminaries I met
> > here and elsewhere.
>
> Well, I'm certainly interested!

Well, then here is my version of yum.conf which functions nicely as I
previously described for YDL 3.0.1:

      1 [main]
      2 cachedir=/var/cache/yum
      3 debuglevel=2
      4 logfile=/var/log/yum.log
      5 pkgpolicy=newest
      6 distroverpkg=yellowdog-release
      7 gpgcheck=1
      8 tolerant=1
      9 exactarch=1
     10
     11 [base]
     12 name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 base
     13 baseurl=http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ydl/yum/3.0/RPMS.main/
     14 baseurl=http://ftp.ydl.osuosl.org/contrib/3.0/ppc/
     15 baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/3.0/ppc/freshrpms/
     16
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.main
     17
     18 [os]
     19 name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - os
     20
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/os
     21
     22 [updates]
     23 name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - updates
     24
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/updates
     25
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0/RPMS.updat        es/
     26 [updates301]
     27 name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
     27 name=Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 updates
     28
baseurl=http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca/pub/distro/yellowdog/yum/3.0.1/update/
     29
     30 [freshrpms]
     31 name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch - freshrpms
     32
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
     33
     34 #[ruffpack]
     35 #name=Yellow Dog Linux $releasever - $basearch -ruffpack
     36
#baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/$releasever/$basearch/ruffpack
     37
     38 #[3.01 updates]
     39 #name=ydl.osuosl.org
     40 #baseurl=http://ydl.osuosl.org/updates/yellowdog-3.0.1/ppc/

That's it!

> I'm afraid I see it as one more steep slope on the learning curve. Linux
> *is* interesting, yes -- alas! Because studying it distracts me from other
> things more central to my life. <sigh>

This has always been true for any man or woman truly interested in
expanding their development via a project or topic or concern which
demanded their attention in the arts or sciences -- in any intellectual
pursuit.  It is harder all the time to find a balance especially if
whatever one is pursuing is deeply intriguing and one is making heading
in resolving this or another previously challenging difficulty one feels
and discovers...ah, that's better, I'm getting closer -- now what if I
try this or consider that... and one's duty or responsibilities to
others fade and disappear into a silent ever receding background...

I'm sure I don't have to produce a list of those who would agree...

Madam Curie, Picasso, DaVinci, Kepler, Kierkegaard, Van Gogh, Matisse,
Jules Verne etc.

It is very telling also that if one never strives in such a direction no
one will not only never know (the chances of someone else hitting upon
pursuing the same or similar approach to one's own may not occur again
for centuries, if at all), no one will ever have the benefit of learning
from the effort taken.  Proof?? Consider how long it took to resolve
Fermat's Last Theorem successfully and all the previous near misses!
>From recent solution to Fermat himself who proposed the problem teasing
everyone throughout history that he had a solution (but never published
it) the timeline I believe just exceeds 500 years!

What is "funny", in the classic Greek or perhaps the term "tragic"
better applies, is that no one can really be sure until the journey is
all over.  For instance, the contemporaries Alva Edison and Nikola Tesla
not only were competing luminaries even their theories of what would
work and how were competitive, it only became clear after Tesla's death
just how much more efficient his theories were -- and still are!  They
are still being studied and researched for applicability.

So after some more sighing have a bit of beer, you are in good company,
and after a pause walk about view the stars and then get back to
work...the work of your true interest, or as Joseph Campbell would say,
"pursue your bliss"!