VDQ : repositories, compatibility of?

Beartooth beartooth at adelphia.net
Fri Dec 17 11:40:40 MST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 20:01:58 -0500, Derick Centeno wrote:

> I'm not home just now, but the answer to your question regarding yum is
> that I designed my yum.conf so that it looks in several places
> simultaneously. This works for YDL 3.0 and YDL 3.0.1; I see no reason
> why it cannot work for YDL 4.0!

The problem, in Fedora's case (iiuc) is not using several -- that does
fine -- but the fact that certain repositories' versions of things
actually conflict.

Iow, if you have one rpm from A, one from B, and one from C, then when a C
rpm calls xyz.rpm and gets the A or B version instead of its own, it may
break something, and presumably create a vast and nasty mess -- especially
for those of us not competent to clean up such messes.

In particular, when I get up the nerve to try it, I want to add ibiblio to
freshrpms in the yum.conf for YDL 4.0. If, that is, I can be sure there
are no conflicts.

> IF there is an interest in what I did and how, then I'll post it here as
> it combines several ideas I picked up from other Linux luminaries I met
> here and elsewhere.

Well, I'm certainly interested!

> Another way to get the gist of what I did is to refer to the YDL FAQ
> pages which addresses this kind of question and others which may be
> useful to you.  Here is the link: www.sharplabs.com:8668/space/start

Very interesting! Many thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of it.

> Don't fear....see this process as a challenging expansion of your
> talent! Best wishes....Derick.

I'm afraid I see it as one more steep slope on the learning curve. Linux
*is* interesting, yes -- alas! Because studying it distracts me from other
things more central to my life. <sigh>

--
Beartooth Autodidact, curmudgeonly codger learning linux
Remember I know precious little of what I'm talking about!