Item of interest? FC3 for PPC

Chris Ruprecht ydl at ruprecht.org
Sun Dec 19 20:47:14 MST 2004

Hi guys,

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 19:12 -0800, Ken Barber wrote:
> On Saturday 18 December 2004 9:34 am, andersoc at msoe.edu wrote:
>
> >   I have used Fedora Core 1, 2, and 3 on my PC laptop.  Fedora Core 2 is
> > the worst of the bunch. I was recently trying to help a friend out with
> > Fedora Core 2, also on his PC laptop, and it was a huge PITA.
>
> I agree.  I got flamed big-time for saying so publicly when I reviewed it for
> Newsforge, but I call 'em as I see 'em.

I'm running FC2 on my main server for a few months and I have not had
many issues with it. I ran FC2 on an IBM ThinkPad T41 for a while - that
was a little bit of an issue, until somebody on the fedora list told me
to switch lm_sensors (/etc/rc.d/init.d/lm_sensors) off and the problems
went away.

The only problem I have on the main server is with the one and only IDE
disk drive - all the other drives are SCSI. I'm not sure if this is on
OS problem or a problem with that particular piece of hardware. I would
think that they have the IDE interface pretty solid, so it might just be
the drive.

> > For this
> > reason, I am staying far away from YDL 4.
>
> As someone who gets paid to write about these things, I would urge you not to
> judge YDL 4 on the basis of its parentage (i.e., FC 2).  I've been
> using/testing YDL 4 here for a couple of weeks now, and it hasn't b0rken yet.
> It's very solid, very stable, and has none of FC2's problems.
>
> I think there's a reason why it took Terrasoft so long to port FC2 over.  They
> basically got it right.

Best regards,
Chris

--
chris ruprecht - network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre