hardware browser problem -

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 21 13:03:56 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 02:36, rhizoma rio wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have Apple G3 preinstalled, so far, everything run
> well, exceptionally a program named hwbrowser (harware
> browser).I get problem with it. This program can't run
> on my computer. If I start from the start menu, this
> program only displays query ( to fill root password).
> after that it's self closed. when I tried to run this
> program from terminal. I found some message like this
> :
>
> bash-2.05# hwbrowser
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/share/hwbrowser/DeviceList.py", line 203,
>  in reread_device_type_list
>  File "/usr/share/hwbrowser/DeviceList.py", line 150,
>  in reread_device_type_list
>
> list.set(iter,0,hardware.get_category_string(key),1,key)
>  File "/usr/share/hwbrowser/DeviceList.py", line 91,
>  in get_category_string
>  return self.type_mapping[key]
>  KeyError : 20
>
> I don't have any experience in python programming and
> I'm also really newbie. I need your help. what should
> I do? thank you for your attention

I am not quite a 'newbie' anymore in GNU/Linux but programming languages
are the likes are still alien technologies to me.
 I checked DeviceList.py in emacs and ..yeah... thats some cute lines:-)

First, I would try running it as root:

]$ su -c 'hwbrowser'

Second, I would re-install it and try again.

1- get authorisation:
]$ su [enter]
..fill root password..

2- erase hwbrowser