ALSA problamo

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Tue Dec 21 13:23:02 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:58, a monkey wrote:

> Whenever I try to use audio, I get this error: `audio_alsa: no cards
> found!' I obviously need to configure ALSA to recognize my card. The
> Soundcard Detection app works, I can hear the test sound through it.

Everyone seam to be stuck with this problem. I got around by compiling
xmms-1.2.10-1 from xmms.org (YDL4 provided 1.2.10-2 seg. fault on my
machine. ppc64-only build?) and use OSS drivers for my audio needs (CD,
streams..) On a side note, I am used to disable
system-events-and-special-effects-beeps as I found them annoying. This
mean I have no clue how to and have no desire to resolve this problem,
anyway. I heard some folks got it going by re-compiling kernel stuffs
(modules?) and properly setup /etc/modprobe.conf. Its like snd-powermac
instead of snd_powermac or something.!??! Some others powerbook users
found that using 8-bits instead of 16-bits gave it a go.

>  I know I have alsa-utils installed, how do I access those? Any help?

I know that. 'rpm -ql alsa-utils' will output a list of all files
installed by alsa-utils rpm. Most goodies are in /usr/bin/ except
'alsactl' is in /usr/sbin/.