ALSA problamo

Geert Janssens geert.janssens3 at pandora.be
Wed Dec 22 03:25:48 MST 2004

Andrew wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:58, a monkey wrote:
>

>>Whenever I try to use audio, I get this error: `audio_alsa: no cards
>>found!' I obviously need to configure ALSA to recognize my card. The
>>Soundcard Detection app works, I can hear the test sound through it.
>

> Everyone seam to be stuck with this problem. I got around by compiling
> xmms-1.2.10-1 from xmms.org (YDL4 provided 1.2.10-2 seg. fault on my
> machine. ppc64-only build?) and use OSS drivers for my audio needs (CD,
> streams..) On a side note, I am used to disable
> system-events-and-special-effects-beeps as I found them annoying. This
> mean I have no clue how to and have no desire to resolve this problem,
> anyway. I heard some folks got it going by re-compiling kernel stuffs
> (modules?) and properly setup /etc/modprobe.conf. Its like snd-powermac
> instead of snd_powermac or something.!??! Some others powerbook users
> found that using 8-bits instead of 16-bits gave it a go.

Actually it's snd_powermac instead of the older dmasound_pmac.
Definitely with an underscore instead of a hyphen.

For me that was all the low level kernel changes I had to make to get
alsa working.

But next to that, I recompiled XMMS 1.2.10-1 just as you did, but mainly
because YDL's one was missing mp3 support. This appears to be a general
Redhat-based distribution issue, which is the result of some mp3 decoder
licence unclarity.

And finally to get sound, I had to choose ALSA in the KDE control panel
for sound, and in KMix enable the record 'led' in the inputs tab, the
Mic 'led' in the switches tab, and make sure that in the output tab the
Mic boost is way open. This last part changes from system to system,
depending on whether there are inputs available or not.

Oh, and by the way, until now I have to redo the KMix settings each time
I reboot.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Geert Jan