gDesklets for 4.0 - use gDesklets-0.31 until...

a monkey thechimp at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 21 16:03:15 MST 2004

Andrew wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-12-21 at 11:47, a monkey wrote:
>

>>By the time you emailed this message to me, I had already upgraded gtk
>>and the other packages and installed 0.32. :-) Thanks for taking the
>>time to help, though.
>>

>Great! Thats some good news. I tried to upgrade gtk, too, but the
>gDesklets's configure script still think I have the old version ?:/
>
>Would you be kind enough to provide me (all of us, indeed) with some
>instructions? Mostly post-install stuffs like how to convince the system
>to use the newest package.

>HINT: to Google archives, try  '<keywords> site:terrasoftsolutions.com'

Ok, guys, here goes. Since YDL's RPMs are outdated, we need to update
the packages in a more manual way. The easiest way to do this is
compiling source RPMs. The easiest way to get one of these is Google. Do
a search somewhat similar to this: `<packagename>-<version> src' e.g.
`pyorbit-2.0.1 src'. Make sure you have rpmbuild installed. If not, you
can install it via yum: `yum install rpmbuild'. Make sure you are root
from now on. To build a binary RPM using your source RPM via rpmbuild,
use: `rpmbuild --rebuild bla.src.rpm'. If there are packages required to
build your RPM, install them either using yum or another source RPM. If
your build is successful, there will be a binary RPM waiting for you in
/usr/src/yellowdog/RPMS/ppc. cd to this directory, and type `rpm -ivh
--force bla.ppc.rpm'. This will have the old installation of the package
be overwritten by the new installation of the package. There's no
post-install stuff, really. Now your system will be using a new version
of the package.