console video mol -- molvconfig problems

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Wed Dec 22 06:38:47 MST 2004

Markus,

I don't know the answer to your question. But... Now that you have
revealed that you have a second graphics card in addition to the on
board video, maybe someone on the list knows what to do.  I would like
to think that there is an additional entry to either

	/etc/yaboot.conf
or

	/etc/X11F86Config

that allows you to set the primary graphics card.

A thought... Take a look at

	main menu -> system settings -> display

There are two "interesting" tabs:
	* hardware
	* dual head.

What happens if you use the hardware tab to make the Radeon 7000 the
primary card, and use the dual head tab to make the onboard ATI the
secondary? Will it let you do that?

-Joseph

On Wed, 2004-12-22 at 02:17, Markus Tarköy wrote:
> Joseph wrote:
>
> >Markus,
>
> >It may be possible to get MOL console video to work by changing the
> >frame buffer. By default you are using the Open Firmware frame buffer
> >[offb]. You might want to try using your ATI Radeon card as the
> >framebuffer device. Review the recent posts by Albrecht DreÃ?.
>

> >-Joseph
>
> At the moment I try to use the radeon fb and if I look at the dmesg it
> seems to be the right way. However, still black screen on console. I think
> there is a problem with the corresponding /dev/fbx it wants to use. Dmesg
> tells me that it switches to /dev/fb0 which is unfortunately my old onboard
> Ati Mach 64 video card. The card my monitor is attached to is /dev/fb1
> (Radeon 7000 Mac Edition PCI). My next question now is: how can I switch to
> the correct /dev/fb1? And in which file would I stick this info into, so
> that when booting up it uses /dev/fb1 as framebuffer device and not
> /dev/fb0.
>
> Thanks again for your help
> Markus

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net