YDL 4.0 on G3 B&W (yosemite)

Oldmoose yellowdog at oldmoose.com
Fri Dec 24 20:27:40 MST 2004

Owen said:

  Hmmm, the first couple errors dont mean much... but to get the thing
  booting.

  boot single usermode
  mount -o remount,rw /
  /sbin/chkconfig kudzu off
  sync
  exit

I don't see where to enter this.  I get prompted twice for entries on bootup.  First, to specify if I want to boot of the cd or the disk, and second the normal boot prompt which defaults to "linux" if I do nothing.

Do I need to interrupt the boot process somehow to type this command?

I'm installing YellowDog 4.0 on a Mac G3 B&W (Yosemite) and had a ton of problems.  I put in a brand new 120 Gb WD disk and tried first with the default formatting, but the install kept hanging, or, if I used the text install, aborting.  Only when I created a series of ~7Gb partitions was I able to get the install to complete.

then, on reboot, I get this:

macserial; can't request IO resource!
hde: MDMA, cycletime: 120, accessTime; 75, recTime; 45
hde: set MDMA timing for mode 2, reg0x00211526
RAMDISK incomplete write (-28 != 32768) 4194304
init boot: relocation error: init boot: symbol get}v, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
Kernel panic:  Attempted to kill init!

Sometimes, I don't see the stuff after RAMDISK, and instead see "INIT:  ID "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

So, do I really have to partition this disk so small?  I'd like to modify the / partition so that it's only 5 or 10 Gb and then have one or two really big partitions on the disk for my other stuff, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Help?

Thanks.

--glen