'official' Xorg version 6.8.1 on YDL4

Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. joseph_sacco at comcast.net
Sat Dec 25 11:03:13 MST 2004

Andrew,

I am aware of how the fonts are distributed.  I was looking into
upgrading Xorg *and* keeping the RPM database intact.

My first attempt at this was to use the Fedora3 SRPMs. I built both the
server and font distributions for consistency and installed them as
updates to the existing installation. There were issues with the cursor
bitmaps on my G4 Silver, which may be "simple" to resolve. It's been a
long time since I crawled around inside of X.  We'll see...

While pursuing some rivfb issues, I also built the latest src-single and
installed it under /opt. This distribution still had the cursor bitmap
problem, which is consistent with the Fedora exercise.

So... I don't know what the problem is at this point.

When I get some free cycles in the next few days I will take another run
at it and see what I can learn.

-Joseph

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 12:19, Andrew wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 11:32, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> > Andrew,
> >
> > The only issue I see with dumping 6.8.1 on top of and installed 6.6 is
> > that you may mask deficiencies in the 6.8.1 release.
>
> Sorry, but what do you mean with 'mask deficiencies'?
>
> > You observed some font problems.
>
> Yes, fonts have changed for several programs but they all display nice
> and sharp, plus, my Mach64 is running at full blast! The fact is that I
> compiled the 'src-single' tarball instead of compiling the split-part
> tarballs:
>
> # From the README file found in Xorg-6.8.1:
> #The source for version 6.8.1 is split into seven tarballs:
> #
> #     X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src2.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src3.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src4.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src5.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src6.tar.gz
> #     X11R6.8.1-src7.tar.gz
> #
> # The first three contain everything except the fonts and general X11
> # documentation.  Those three are sufficient for building X11R6.8.1 if
> # you already have a set of fonts.  The fourth and fifth contain the
> # fonts.  The sixth contains the source for the general X11
> # documentation.  The seventh contains the general X11 documentation in
> # hardcopy format.
>
> A problem I foresee is when TSS will release an X11 update via yum it
> may not update properly... or it will 'just work' somehow. I guess 'make
> uninstall' 6.8.1 then yum update Xorg will work. We'll see by then (if
> it only happen anyway.. ;))

joseph_sacco[at]comcast[dot]net