'official' Xorg version 6.8.1 on YDL4

Andrew virgule88 at videotron.ca
Sat Dec 25 10:19:19 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-25 at 11:32, Joseph E. Sacco, Ph.D. wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> The only issue I see with dumping 6.8.1 on top of and installed 6.6 is
> that you may mask deficiencies in the 6.8.1 release.

Sorry, but what do you mean with 'mask deficiencies'?

> You observed some font problems.

Yes, fonts have changed for several programs but they all display nice
and sharp, plus, my Mach64 is running at full blast! The fact is that I
compiled the 'src-single' tarball instead of compiling the split-part
tarballs:

# From the README file found in Xorg-6.8.1:
#The source for version 6.8.1 is split into seven tarballs:
#
#     X11R6.8.1-src1.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src2.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src3.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src4.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src5.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src6.tar.gz
#     X11R6.8.1-src7.tar.gz
#
# The first three contain everything except the fonts and general X11
# documentation.  Those three are sufficient for building X11R6.8.1 if
# you already have a set of fonts.  The fourth and fifth contain the
# fonts.  The sixth contains the source for the general X11
# documentation.  The seventh contains the general X11 documentation in
# hardcopy format.

A problem I foresee is when TSS will release an X11 update via yum it
may not update properly... or it will 'just work' somehow. I guess 'make
uninstall' 6.8.1 then yum update Xorg will work. We'll see by then (if
it only happen anyway.. ;))