yellowdog-general Digest, Vol 4, Issue 70

Oldmoose yellowdog at oldmoose.com
Sat Dec 25 15:49:36 MST 2004

Henry said:

> Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 13:10:57 -0500
> From: "Henry A. Leinhos" <henry at leinhos.com>
> Subject: Re: YDL 4.0 on G3 B&W (yosemite)
> To: Yellow Dog Linux General Discussion List
> <yellowdog-general at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
>
> I'm curious, do you have a rev 1 or 2 Yosemite (you can tell if it is a
> rev 2 if your B+W has a HD bracket that can hold 2 drives).  I have a
> rev 1 and my WD 120G drive had nothing but troubles with the IDE
> controller.  I eventually gave up and through a 6GB Drive on the main
> IDE and added a Promise Ultra66 card (from a PC!)  to use the 120G
> drive.  I couldn't boot from the 120G drive, but I could install yaboot
> on the 6GB drive and point the root= to my 120.  I could then even use
> MOL on the 120, without a hitch.
>
> YMMV
>
>> I'm installing YellowDog 4.0 on a Mac G3 B&W (Yosemite) and had a ton
>> of problems.  I put in a brand new 120 Gb WD disk and tried first with
>> the default formatting, but the install kept hanging, or, if I used
>> the text install, aborting.  Only when I created a series of ~7Gb
>> partitions was I able to get the install to complete.

I think it's also rev 1.  The bracket has what seem to be places for 3
drives, not vertically stacked, but rather horizontally installed.  Doesn't
actually look like they'd be able to connect to the bus.  No "U" connector.

Is there a problem with the IDE controller and the size of the drive?  Did
you try to install one of the Mac OS on the disk?  That was going to be my
next test.

I don't get why the smaller partitions would make things work, unless the
disk isn't able to boot off of a big partition (or recognize a big
partition).

What size were you setting the root partition to when you tried?  I wonder
if a <=7Gb / partition would make it happier.