serious upgrade problem

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Tue Dec 28 21:17:12 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Andrew wrote:
> Hello, since TSS seam pretty lazy on upgrades I decided to get my feet
> wet and do it myself. I want gnome 2.8 badly.

 Venting or not, I find unresearched rants like this offensive.  Jumping
major revisions within the same distro release is rather uncommon.  Most
upgrades are bug/security fixes, which are usually done with a minimal
patch to the current version of the problem.  Calling them lazy for not
doing something that isn't common practice is fairly insulting.  YDL4 is
based on Fedora Core 2.  If you want some magic widget from FC3, either
you should do it yourself (which, applaudably, you have), or wait for a
version of Yellow Dog which contains it (which, yes, will likely take
quite some time).  I for one don't find personal attacks to be part of the
formula.
 Of course, I, too, am venting.

 Don't get me started about the frequent cries of "RPM dependency hell."
Dependencies are generally there to keep you from doing something stupid
and making components incompatible with each other.  AFAIK, they exist
under any sane packaging system.  Getting all the pieces to interlock
correctly isn't necessarily a simple task, as you've likely discovered.

 Feel free to call me down if you think I'm too far out of line. *shrug*

     Jima