Disconnections from yum

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 3 18:08:01 2004

Donn Tarris wrote:

> Hello,
> I've noticed that when attempting to "yum" updates I'm being
> consistently dropped and have to re-enter the command to continue. Is
> this common?

Yes--because you are using the main YDL mirror site, which stays pretty
busy and so you get "dumped" due to the heavy traffic. Solution: Config
your yum.conf to point to a different mirror site. Below is a previous
post I hope will help.    Good luck,    --Harvey

Hi John,     What's happening is that the YDL site has a lot of download
traffic on it (just about any time), so when you try to do your updates
from their site you often get "bumped off" due to the overload. I just
reconfig'd /etc/yum.conf last night to deal with this very problem, so I
hope my solution will work for you.

Take a look at your /etc/yum.conf file:
cat  /etc/yum.conf

Note that there are two sections in the config file that point to URLs
for downloads--one for [base] ending in ....RPMS.main/ and one for
[updates] ending in .....RPMS.updates/     Both those URLs point to the
main YDL site, right? Well, there are other mirror sites you can use
with less traffic--here's the link:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/resources/ftp_mirrors.shtml#sites
Follow that link & pick a likely mirror, and copy its URL for RPMS.main/
and its URL for RPMS.updates/ to the appropriate places in your
yum.conf. (Note that you will be >>replacing<< the current lines in your
config with the new URL lines.) Once that is done, you can run yum
update or whatever & will have a much better chance of completing your
update because of smaller amount of traffic on the alternate mirror site.

By the way, before starting any of this, it wd be a good idea to make a
backup copy of your /etc/yum.conf file (say, to /etc/yum.conf.orig).
That's >always< a good idea when you are about to make a change to a
basic config file--thus, if things get real bolixed up, you can always
retrieve your original config & start over.

Also when working with a basic config file like yum, you will of course
need to make the changes as root (or thru su whatever--I always just
make a full change to root).

Here is a copy of my yum.conf after I made the URL changes. Note,
though, that I am using 3.0--your URLs for 3.0.1 will be slightly
different.

If you have any questions or trouble making any of this happen, just
post.   Good luck.    --Harvey

[harvey@localhost harvey]$ cat /etc/yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum