Compiling from source

Harvey Ussery yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 3 18:21:00 2004

Several recent posts were made on the question of using RPMs as opposed
to installing from source, and I'm pretty confused on the issue.

I just installed Mozilla 1.6 on my wife's iBook (running MacOSX
exclusively). No problem at all--there was a download on the Mozilla
site for MacOSX--easy, easy, easy. So I got envious that she now has
this cool new ver of Moz on her box, & I'm limping along with 1.2.1. But
when I checked the Mozilla site for a Linux download, the one offered is
for a PC: "System Requirements:  Intel pentium class processor (233 MHz
or faster recommended)"   etc.

So does that mean I cannot download that Linux ver and do the usual
./configure
make
make install
etc.  on a PPC? What exactly would "blow up" or be broken on my iMac if
I did?

Thanks for clarification.    --Harvey