Compiling from source

Greg Hamilton yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Tue Feb 3 21:09:01 2004

> So does that mean I cannot download that Linux ver and do the usual
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> etc.  on a PPC? What exactly would "blow up" or be broken on my iMac
> if I did?

Building from source shouldn't be a problem, it's where binary RPMs
come from after all.

According to the Mozilla site you require Linux kernel >= 2.2.14, glibc
 >= 2.24, gtk+ >= 1.20 and XFree86 >= 3.3.6 to build Mozilla from
source. These dependencies are all met by an up-to-date install of YDL
3.

This is pretty lucky as all these packages will have dependancies of
their own. You could spend a long time tracking down all the required
packages and working out which order to build them in before finally
getting Mozilla running by which time half the stuff installed on your
machine would probably have stopped working because it was compiled
against older versions of everything you just updated. This is why
people started building distros and package management systems in the
first place.

After you build Mozilla 1.6 anything that depends on Mozilla (eg.
galleon) may be broken. Probably not but maybe. And if you use yum to
install something which depends on Mozilla it might complain about
requiring a version of Moz which it doesn't think is installed even
though you know it is.

I'm running 1.4. There's an RPM available through Freshrpms.