Power Mac 6500 ethernet YDL 3.0

Geoffrey S. Mendelson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 4 16:19:01 2004

David Emerson wrote:
> I'm having some trouble getting my 6500's built-in nic to work in YDL
> 3.0 with the 2.4 kernel.  I read the archives and noted that some had
> success with switching back to the 2.2 kernel, though I'd rather stay
> with the 2.4.  So I bought a PCI NIC (3COM, the one recommended on the
> YDL site).  It works in another YDL box (9600/300), but will not
> retrieve a DHCP addr. on the 6500.  I've tried to reinstall YDL a
> couple of times, and each install noted the presence of the PCI card
> and it's correct in calling the card eth1.  However, no install has
> been able to induce the card to retrieve an IP via DHCP.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Of course, ideally, I'd love to know how, if it's possible, to run the
> built-in nic under kernel 2.4 YDL 3.0.  But just getting the 3com NIC
> running is good enough if that's all I can do.

I have it running on a 6500 but mine does not have the ehternet card.
It was an option and the original owner of mine opted for a modem.
I put in an old DEC DE500 card and it works fine both on YDL and MacOS 9
(you can get drivers for MacOS 8).

On the other hand I had a similar card to yours in a slightly older PM
running YDL 3.0.1 as eth1 and it worked fine. Make sure your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcg-eth1 has "BOOTPROTO=DHCP" in it.

Do you have the DHCP client daemon installed?

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm@mendelson.com 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: geoffrey_mendelson@hotmail.com (Not for email)