Power Mac 6500 ethernet YDL 3.0

David Emerson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 4 15:40:03 2004

I'm having some trouble getting my 6500's built-in nic to work in YDL
3.0 with the 2.4 kernel.  I read the archives and noted that some had
success with switching back to the 2.2 kernel, though I'd rather stay
with the 2.4.  So I bought a PCI NIC (3COM, the one recommended on the
YDL site).  It works in another YDL box (9600/300), but will not
retrieve a DHCP addr. on the 6500.  I've tried to reinstall YDL a
couple of times, and each install noted the presence of the PCI card
and it's correct in calling the card eth1.  However, no install has
been able to induce the card to retrieve an IP via DHCP.

Any ideas?

Of course, ideally, I'd love to know how, if it's possible, to run the
built-in nic under kernel 2.4 YDL 3.0.  But just getting the 3com NIC
running is good enough if that's all I can do.

--David