Share files between Mandrake and YDL

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 12 10:29:01 2004

Friends:

What is the best way to share files between one
computer running Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 and a second
running Mandrake Linux 9.2?

In Konqueror, I am able to use
"sftp://clint@192.168.1.251/" to browse files, and
that's not too bad. However, I was wondering if there
was a way to mount a directory from one Linux box on a
second box?

All the How-Tos I see on Yellow Dog's site talk about
sharing files from Windows machines using SAMBA
(whatever that is :-) ), but I don't have a Windows
machine in the mix.

At present, the only port I have open on my Mandrake
box (which serves as an Internet router for my DSL
modem) is port 22 for ssh. I don't want to open up the
ftp port if I don't have to. Maybe ssh/sftp is the
best way. Using ssh/sftp, I can even see files on my
PowerBook running OS X. What do you think?

Thanks!

Best wishes,
Clint
(whose next project will be to share files between Mac
OS X and the Mandrake and YDL boxes)

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>