Share files between Mandrake and YDL

Chris Ruprecht yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 12 11:06:01 2004

Of course, there is ... this is the UNIX world, remember? This is what
everybody else is copying from ... ;-).

It's called NFS - Network File System

You define the directories you want to share to to whom you want to share them
to on machine A using the /etc/export file.
Here is a sample entry, world read/writeable:

/home/common        *(rw)

Then, you mount the directory on machine B with:

mount -t nfs A:/home/common /home/common

For this to work, machine A must be running nfs. To switch it on, you would
use:

service nfs start

You can make a link from your nfs script to your runlevel directory on machine
A, so it always starts up NFS. Then you can make an entry in /etc/fstab on
machine B to always auto-mount the directory on startup.

Best regards,
Chris