Share files between Mandrake and YDL

Clinton MacDonald yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 12 14:43:01 2004

Mr. Ruprecht:

Thank you for your excellent reply:

Chris Ruprecht <ydl AT ruprecht DOT org> wrote:
> Of course, there is ... this is the UNIX world,
> remember? This is what everybody else is copying
> from ... ;-).

So true!

> It's called NFS - Network File System. You
> define the directories you want to share to to
> whom you want to share them to on machine A
> using the /etc/export file.

I played with this briefly, but it hasn't worked, yet.
I won't be able to return to it until this evening.
However, instead of "/etc/export" I found
"/etc/exports" -- I wonder if that was incorrect. I
logged into the YDL machine (a Wallstreet PowerBook)
as root, and added an entry to /etc/exports as you
suggested, then started the nfs service. That seemed
to work without incident. Unfortunately, I was not
able to mount the directory on my Mandrake box (a
Dell-made PC). However, as i said, I haven't tried
very hard, yet.

> You can make a link from your nfs script to your
> runlevel directory on machine A, so it always
> starts up NFS.

I must admit, I don't know what that means, but I will
read up the man pages on it.

> Then you can make an entry in /etc/fstab on
> machine B to always auto-mount the directory on
> startup.

This, at least, I understand!

I will report tomorrow on my progress.

Best wishes,
Clint

--
Dr. Clinton C. MacDonald | <mailto:clint DOT macdonald
AT sbcglobal DOT net>