Install error Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1--PROBLEM SOLVED!

K Hanai yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Fri Feb 13 23:53:01 2004

From: "Ashok T M" <ashok.tm@ap.sony.com>
> > sites: http://ftp.sunsite.utk.edu/ftp/pub/linux/yellowdog/iso/.  I
> > downloaded yellowdog-3.0.1-sirius-20031118-install1.iso and the

>  I wana install Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1 on PowerMac G5 processor with shipped
> Mac Os X 10.3 installed (already) default.
> I want to have lilo like from Mac Os X which permits me to choose either of
> the Os at boot time.
> Say i have downloaded all the iso from the above mentioned ftp site. whatz
> the steps from now onwards.

Hi, Ashok,

In my latest dual g5 2.0 GHz machine which is delivered just 2 weeks
ago, no 3.0.1 iso from ydl enhanced works. I have tried the latest
iso's for PowerMac G5 dated on 2/11/2004, but they did not work and
encountered the same error as I have reported earlier in this list.

I assume that the partition map of the latest dual g5 is completely
diffrent from those of other g4 machines, even they are the same OS
10.3, and the current anaconda appears not to be able to handle this
new partition map, which lacks all the Apple driver partitions,
patch partitions, and so on usually seen in precedented machines.
The foolowing is the map with OSX pdisk command of the startup disk
of the dual g5 machine of MacOSX 10.3, and the root partition
is partition 4, Apple_HFS_Untitled_3. (I intend to install YDL on the
2nd drive /dev/hdb of this machine, then this drive does not have any
linux partitions)

$ sudo /usr/sbin/pdisk /dev/disk0 -dump
Password:

/dev/disk0  map block size=512
   #:                 type name                  length   base      ( size )
   1:  Apple_partition_map Apple                     63 @ 1
   2:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_2   1416512 @ 64        (691.7M)
   3:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 1416576
   4:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_3  47655616 @ 1678720   ( 22.7G)
   5:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 49334336
   6:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_4 259898880 @ 49596480  (123.9G)
   7:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 309495360
   8:            Apple_HFS Apple_HFS_Untitled_5   2824288 @ 309757504 (  1.3G)
   9:           Apple_Free                            0+@ 312581792

Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=312581808
DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

I hope that YDL anaconda can handle this new type of partition map
as soon as possible.

Thanks,
kaz