OK to delete what's in lost+found?

Konstantin Ryabitsev yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sat Feb 14 20:58:01 2004

On 14.02.2004 21:34, Rob Brandt wrote:
> I've noticed that I've got 2 gb of files in lost+found.  None are dated newer
> than November 2002.  I used to have a problem with bad RAM that would cause
> linux to crash, and it was happening frequently.  I suspect that's when these
> files were generated.  I haven't missed anything.
>
> Is it OK to delete these, or is there some magic reason that they still need to
> be in lost+found?

No, you can kill these. If you haven't had a need to use them in
over a year, then it's highly unlikely you will require them. They
are created by fsck during filesystem check, which usually happens
after a system crash (though this is rarely the case any more with
ext3 and journaling). If fsck finds anything odd or inconsistent
with the disk, it will sometimes put stuff into lost+found in case
it's some of your data that you might need to recover.

As you haven't needed it until now, it's probably safe to remove it.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Ryabitsev
Duke Physics Systems Admin, RHCE