YDL Installation on 2nd drive in Nubus PMac 6100: please help!

Andrew Poole yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Sun Feb 15 23:10:02 2004

Hello,

I'm in desperate need of help with installing yellowdog linux 3.0 on a
second (empty) hard drive on my PowerMac 6100.  I've gotten to the
installation stage (using Apple MkLinux Booter & the mach kernel with
yellowdog linux 3.0 installer on the MacOS HD), and ran into a couple
issues:

1) Apple bootstrap is not an option under the "file system type" menu,
so I went ahead and chose swap instead, at 1MB.  <----- BAD?

2) When creating a /root partition using Disk Druid, I get a warning:
"the mount point is invalid.  the /root directory must be on the / file
system".  I changed its name to / and it didn't complain.  <----- BAD?
Should it be set to ext2 or ext 3?  I'm completely lost here.

3) I arrived at the bootloader installation part, and my only option
was "do not install bootloader", even though I had the "mach kernel"
bootloader in my extensions folder (the one that was used to boot the
installer).  I also had Stable Kernel (2.4.23) for Apple MkLinux Booter
in my extensions folder, but it did not show up in this dialog box.  I
went ahead with "do not install bootloader"

The installation is going, but I have a pretty good feeling that it's
not going to boot when it finishes.  Can anyone tell me the *right* way
to do this?

Any input and / or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Andrew