Printing to Epson SP750 through serial port

Thomas Carlson yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Mon Feb 16 07:34:01 2004

Thanks for the response.  I was beginning to think I was the Lone
Ranger here.  I have Googled for information on setting up serial port
printers under Linux and have not come up with anything that works with
the Printer Configuration utility in YDL 3.0.  What progress I have
made came from an old SuSE HOWTO:

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/mfrueh_print_oldmac.html

Using these instructions for setting up the serial port I was able to
print a test page through the printer port of my PM 9500 to an Epson
SP750 printer.  Printer Configuration, however, fails to recognize the
/dev/ttyS1 port and when I enter it as a custom device and go through
the drill of setting up the printer I see nothing entered in either the
/etc/printcap or the /etc/cups/printers.conf files, and printing a test
page gives me an error message.

As I observe the content of this list my guess is that most YDL users
have moved on to newer hardware and aren't much concerned about serial
port printers.  Let me know if you come up with anything that would
work.  Again, thanks.

Tom
On Feb 16, 2004, at 4:15 AM, Michael H. Martel wrote:

> --On Sunday, February 8, 2004 7:38 AM -0700 Thomas Carlson
> <tcarls@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> OK, let me ask the question in a different way.  Has anyone
>> successfully
>> used the Printer Configuration utility in YDL 3.0 to set up ANY
>> printer
>
> Tom, I wish I could help you on this one, but I'm in the same boat.
> I'm trying to hook up an Epson Color Stylus 1520 to my Beige G3 with
> YDL 3.0.1 . I get about as far as you did.
>
> I don't suppose someone else helped you fix it or you solved it
> yourself ?
>
> If I come up with something I'll let you know!
>

> Michael
>
> --

>   Michael H. Martel              | Vermont State Colleges
>   martelm@quark.vsc.edu          | Systems Administrator
>   http://probe.vsc.edu/~michael  | PH:802-241-2544 FX:802-241-3363

__
Thomas Carlson