Real Newbie

George Katele yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 18 18:27:00 2004

(crossposted from the Newbie list)

Hello all...

Obviously, I'm a Linux newbie since I've subscribed to this list.
However, I've been a Mac user since 1992, and was an early adopter of
OS X. I have several Macs in the house, some of which are just
collecting dust, and I thought I'd give YellowDog a try.

I'll start of by asking a couple of basic questions, if I may....

The first Mac that I'd like to install Yellowdog on is an old
Powermac 8500. It's been upgraded with a pair of 4 gig (!) SCSI hard
drives, and it now has about 368 megs of RAM. It also has a Sonnet
crescendo G3 upgrade card in it. The G3 replaced the legacy 604E, and
is installed in the daughtercard slot. I've been successful running
OS X (10.2.8) on it using some hacks.

What kind of hassles can I expect with the installation, and what can
I expect in terms of performance?

The other Mac is a 17" flatscreen iMac G4 800. It's got 768 megs of
RAM, and a bunch of external firewire drives. I thought that I'd
install Linux on one of the external drives and have the option to
boot either the internal Mac drive (for OS X 10.3) or an external
(for Yellowdog 3.0.1). Is this a reasonable expectation?

Thanks in advance!

George

--

George Katele