video / ethernet on Nubus P-Mac 6100?

Andrew Poole yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Wed Feb 18 22:36:02 2004

Hey there,

I was able to successfully install YDL on my Powermac 6100/60 but seem
to be having issues with both video and ethernet.  At the install
stage, I chose whatever was default (generic drivers, default ethernet
options), but I fear I did something wrong.

When the computer is finished booting and it seems that X Windows is
firing up, the screen is completely scrambled (I see big blocks of
white in the middle of the screen on what looks to be a blue
background, and short, thin, black parallel horizontal lines
organizedin a diagonal fashion.  In short, I can't see anything.  Does
anyone know how to fix this?  I have a 12'' Apple monitor hooked up via
an HDI-45 to DB-15 adapter that I believe is 512x384, if that makes any
difference.

I also tried logging into the computer (telnet and ssh) remotely to see
if I could fool around that way, but I can't even ping the computer.
Do I need special ethernet drivers for my setup?  The computer has a
AAUI-15 connection at the back and I'm using an Asante FriendlyNet
AAUI-ethernet adapter plugged into my LAN.

If anyone can give me any clues as to how to get my video displayed
correctly or my ethernet working, I'd greatly appreciate it!  The
computer is a stock 6100/60 with no modifications to either ethernet or
video to my knowledge.

And if not, I'd also like to know how to exit X-Windows and revert to a
basic command line, so that maybe I could find out what's going on.

thanks a bunch!

Andrew