Cannot boot from CD - one solution (3)

yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com yellowdog-general@lists.terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Feb 19 12:16:01 2004

(Sigh, this may be the 3rd time you've seen this, first to
newbie, then again to newbie, then to general.  Sorry.)

Hi.  I connect keyboard, crt/lcd, and mouse through a PS/2 KVM
switch to a dual-CPU G4 (with help from PS/2-USB converter
cables to the G4).  Intending to install YDL 3.0.1, I found that
holding down the KVM-connected "C" key did nothing.  I had
recently upstalled firmware to 4.2.8, so I was concerned.  I
also have OS9, and Panther installed on the box.

I found that connecting an Apple USB keyboard in addition to the
KVM-connected keyboard allowed me to signal the box that I
wished to boot from the CD.

The KVM is also ignored for the other kinds of special
conditions for booting, cmd-opt-o-f (open firmware), and
cmd-opt-shift-del.

As soon as the special keys are recognized by the box, the KVM
keyboard seems fine to use.

There are other troubles down the line for me, but I will detail
those in a separate post.

I hope this may be of some help to those in a similar situation.
Other solutions are welcome ...  cheers, drl